How to Make a Report of Sexual Harassment and Notice of Nondiscrimination

University of California Notice of Nondiscrimination

The University of California and UCSF Student Mental Health and Wellbeing are committed to the principle of treating each community member with respect and dignity.  Across all of its locations, including clinical settings, the University prohibits discrimination and harassment (including sexual assault and other forms of sexual harassment). UCSF Student Mental Health and Wellbeing provides equal opportunities for all patients, applicants, employees, faculty, and students regardless of sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.

For more on the University’s commitment to integrity, accountability and respect for all members of our community, please see the University’s Statement of Ethical Values and Standards of Ethical Conduct.

SMHW Patients and Clients - How to Report Sexual Harassment

If you have experienced sexual harassment please consider reporting it.  To speak with a Title IX officer call (415) 502-3400.  You may also visit the Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination (Title IX) website to file a complaint, ask a question, or make an anonymous report.

The UCSF Title IX Office tries to protect people’s privacy, while also fulfilling its obligations to respond appropriately to all reports it receives. In some situations, certain laws and University policies may require disclosure of reports to others, such as other University officials, licensing boards, law enforcement, or other agencies. If you are unsure if you want to file a report, we recommend contacting one of the following confidential resources first for advice and support:

These offices are not required to report instances of sexual harassment to the University.

The University reviews all reports of sexual harassment in accordance with the University’s Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment Policy and other applicable policies.


To Provide General Feedback about your Patient Care Experience:

UCSF Student Mental Health and Wellbeing is interested in hearing about your overall care experience. To provide general feedback about your visit or experience with a UCSF Student Mental Health and Wellbeing provider, or to communicate any complaint about unprofessional conduct, please submit feedback here.


To Obtain Your Medical Records

You may obtain a copy of your medical records in person, by mail or online by visiting the UCSF Student Mental Health and Wellbeing website Medical Records page.


For Language, Hearing, and Visual Access Assistance

We provide free aids and services to people with disabilities to communicate effectively with us, like qualified sign language interpreters and written information in other formats (large print, audio, accessible electronic formats, other formats). We also provide free language services to people whose primary language is not English, like qualified interpreters and information written in other languages. If you need these services, contact Student Mental Health and Wellbeing at 415-476-1281.


Reporting Obligations of UC Personnel

All University employees are responsible for creating and maintaining the safe, supportive and respectful environment that our patients and colleagues expect and deserve. Additionally, under some circumstances, UCSF Student Mental Health and Wellbeing staff members are required by University policy to immediately report possible sexual harassment to the Title IX office. Even those who are not subject to a mandate are encouraged to immediately report information regarding possible sexual harassment directly to the Title IX office or anonymously to the compliance hotline. Learn more information about your responsibility to report sexual harassment as a member of the UC community.


Additional Methods for Patients and Clients to Report Sexual Misconduct

The following University offices also accept reports of sexual misconduct:

If you would prefer to file a complaint with an outside agency instead of, or in addition to, a complaint with the University, you can file a civil rights complaint with any of the following:

  • Medical Board of California (this site will allow you to file a complaint about any California-licensed physician or midwife)
  • California Department of Consumer Affairs (this site will allow you to access the websites to file complaints about any health professional licensed in the State of California)
  • U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights

The Office for Civil Rights works to ensure equal access to education and through enforcement of civil right protections on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex discrimination, disability and age.

  • File a complaint electronically here
  • File a complaint by mail:
    U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
    200 Independence Avenue, SW Room 509F, HHH Building
    Washington, D.C. 20201.

      The form can be downloaded here

  • File a complaint by phone: 1-800-368-1019, 1-800-537-7697 (TDD)
  • California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH)

DFEH will investigate a failure by an employer to comply with sexual harassment prevention training and education requirements, and incidents of discrimination in employment, businesses and other services.