Campus Medical Care Assistance Fund (CMCAF)

The UC SHIP Reserve Fund Investment Committee (RFIC) granted funds to each campus for distribution to students with a financial hardship, to assist students in paying their out-of-pocket medical expenses that exceed $500 and up to the in-network individual out-of-pocket maximum.  The funds granted by RFIC are for the 2023-24 academic year.  Once the funds are exhausted, there will be no additional funds granted for the remainder of the year.


All UCSF students and dependents who are currently enrolled in UC SHIP and enrolled for at least one term before the date of the medical service are eligible to apply. The student must have no outstanding financial balance with their campus and have applied for charity care from the provider of service.

Services eligible for assistance

The following services are available for assistance, but services must be medically necessary:

  • Hospitalization
  • In-patient care (includes mental health/substance abuse)
  • Hospice Care
  • Diagnostic Testing
  • Emergency Medical Transportation
  • Childbirth/Delivery Professional Services
  • Skilled Nursing
  • Outpatient Surgery
  • Out-patient care (includes mental health/substance abuse)
  • Physician/Surgeon Services
  • Imaging Services (MRI/CT/PET Scans)
  • Durable Medical Equipment
  • Childbirth/Delivery Facility Services
  • Pharmacy out-of-pocket costs

Application Process

Complete the UC SHIP Medical Care Assistance Fund Application and submit your application, the response from the facility/provider for the charity fund request, and a copy of your Anthem Explanation of Benefits (EOB) to the “Insurance/Referral Coordinator” via MyHealthRecord.


Anthem Blue Cross, UC SHIP’s Claims Administrator, will provide you with an Explanation of Benefits (EOB), which shows the services rendered, billed charges, the allowed amount for payment, and your responsibility, if any.  Anthem will only make payment on medically necessary services.

Anthem will mail you an EOB, unless you have elected through their member portal to receive communication electronically.  You may also contact Anthem at (866) 940-8306 and request a copy of your EOB.

Unfortunately, this benefit is only for those that have experienced a medical service. You should inquire with your medical provider(s) as to what options they may offer.

Charity Care is health care provided for free or at reduced prices to low income patients.  Please contact the provider’s office that is billing for these services in writing to ask if they have any form of Charity Care.  Some providers have applications, some require a letter of request, while others may not offer any sort of charity care.  For those that do allow for Charity Care, they may review your request and offer to write off the amount owed, they may write off a portion of the billed amount, or may determine you are not qualified for Charity Care.  If your provider does not offer charity care, please provide a letter or email from them indicating they do not offer charity care. Please provide their written response to your request/application along with your Medical Care Assistance Fund Application to your campus Student Mental Health and Wellbeing Services representative.

Your Student Mental Health and Wellbeing Services (SMHW) representative will review your application and supporting documents to ensure that you have provided the necessary information.  They will check your University accounts to ensure there is no outstanding balance.

The SMHW representative will notify you if your application is complete and will provide this information to the Financial Aid Office for payment processing. If you have an outstanding balance or missing information, the representative will make you aware that they cannot process your application until your University account is paid in full.

Assistance from the Medical Care Assistance Fund will be included on your 1098-T form. Included in the 1098-T form are qualified charges that were paid and financial assistance received for the corresponding tax year. Please consult with a tax professional for any tax related questions.

Please contact Student Mental Health and Wellbeing Services for any questions about this benefit.